Korea Day 1: A Boardin' Day

Greetings from Korea! 

So for those of you who know, my friend Felly and I embarked on a short trip to Korea! We took a night flight and arrived real early in the morning so I'm kinda tired. We flew to Seoul with Korean Airlines, which in my opinion was really great. They have really good service and I'm not sure why, but I really like the bibimbap there and I personally hate airplane food so that says something. 




Basically, the plane ride.

I didn't manage to sleep much but I somehow managed to miss supper (which was the bibimbap) so it ended up being my breakfast at like 2am. So instead of trying to sleep I got myself a cup of black coffee and designed a few things for an upcoming project my friend Ely and I are working on. If you're interested to get updates, do pop by my facebook page every now and then or follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Apart from editing a few things here and there, I managed to watch a movie as well. I caught the movie Her, Ben had watched it when it was out in cinemas and said it was a really good movie. I second that opinion and it's not because he's my boyfriend, but because I think it's an absolutely beautiful movie. I'd definitely rewatch it and recommend that you guys check it out too. 

I really love that movie. 




Plane >> Train

After arriving at Incheon International Airport, the first thing we decided to do was grab onto a portable wifi thingy (device?). I forgot how much it costs but Felly and I decided to share it since it can cater up to 10 devices at one time within a 50m radius. Of course, its password protected so that's pretty great too. After getting that settled and contacting our friends and family in Singapore, we hopped onto the train to Daeheung. It was a pretty long ride (an hour-ish?) and the train was mad crowded. Caught some shut eye so that was pretty alright. 

So eventually, after walking around being lost in the station and outside of the station, we finally met up with Bev and got settled in! 



Clearly Seal and I spent the next few hours playing Don't Starve. 

We had quite a few hours to kill since we arrived at Bev's place at 8am and our agenda for the day started at about 2pm. So after happily playing my game for a good 2 hours I took a little cat nap. I promise you, it was the absolute best nap ever. 






Before I say anything more about today, I just want to show you guys the awesome transit cards they have in Korea. In Singapore, it's known as an ez-link card and it's a regular credit card shaped piece of plastic that you use to tap in or out on buses and trains. But in Korea, they have the cutest mobile charms (the angry bird was one of them, they had quite a range of designs) that act the same way as an ez-link card. You can purchase and top them up at 7-Eleven and a few other places as well. I jsut got the little mini card so I could slot it into my wallet. 

In general, I guess the trains are pretty straight forward but you have to know where you're going or you're gonna get frustrated navigating your way through the interchanging stations.







Felly, Tara, Bev.

Back to the trip. We took a short train ride to Yeouinaru where we met up with another friend of ours. The park sitting by the Han River is just amazing. I know there are plenty of parks by the Han River but this one was the most convenient for all of us. 












Clearly we stuffed our faces.

We had quite a lot of food today, Having awesome fried chicken with cans of Sprite, corn dogs, ddeobbokki and some random nibbles. Of course, I was too full for dinner. The fried chicken was so good that I just wanted to eat the entire box of it. I quite like fried chicken so yeah. Besides that, the street ddeobbokki was a little on the sweet side. I was hoping for a really spicy variation but this probably wasn't it. The corn dogs on the other hand were pretty darn good but they filled you up really fast so it's probably too much for a simple snack. 









We be relaxin' and boardin'.

I had the slightest hint of regret when Tara had brought her longboard with her. Wished I brought my Penny board with me so we could all skate, but I guess sharing Bev's Penny and Tara's long board was sufficient for today. We spent the entire afternoon sitting around and chilling, people watching and of course skating around. 

There were plenty of other Penny skaters there too, not to mention cyclists and people who just wanted to lay down on the grass. It's basically one of the best chill out spots ever. It was really relaxing and the weather was so fantastic. 

We left Yeouinaru about 7ish, took a cab to drop Tara off at her guest house and the three of us decided to take the train down to Shinchon and walk back to Bev's apartment from there. Since Bev's got to be in school tomorrow, Felly and I would be exploring the area by ourselves and we'll probably drop by Shinchon and perhaps Hongdae as well (you guys probably know what's gonna be in tomorrow's blogpost haha).






A short apartment tour. 

You guys didn't think I'd end the post without showing you around right? Well Bev's apartment isn't massive but its incredibly cosy. Not to mention awesome because she lives on the first floor hehe. The bed is so comfortable that I could fall asleep as I type so I will end this blogpost right here and reward myself with much needed rest. Goodnight!



xx
Shayne




Comments