Blueberry Jam

 Hello Everyone! 

The end of the sem (and academic year at Lasalle) is ending and I've been cramming in all the paperwork and post production assignments. Also, there has been a sudden wave of events that I'll be attending over the next few weeks and hopefully I'll get to vlog them all for you guys on top of doing my usual blogpost! If you haven't watched my very first vlog at the Mrs Singapore Press Conference, you can watch it here!

As every college student knows, it can get pretty stressful and of course, I'm very overwhlemed and one of the ways I cope with that stress is by cooking something. This time, I've whipped up some homemade blueberry jam and I thought I'd share it with you guys. 


Homemade jam is so much better for you than the store-bought ones. Of course, they may not store as long as the store-bought ones but this recipe is really easy to make and I assure you that it's totally worth it! Plus, it only takes less than 15 minutes to make!

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoon Chia Seeds

These will not break down when you cook them so if you're not a fan of too much texture in your jam, you can decided to not put them in. However, I feel this makes the jam a little thicker in consistency. 


 
 2 packs (approx 250g) Blueberries

 You can replace the blueberries with strawberries or other berries! I realised that frozen berries break down a lot better when they're over heat. The fresh ones are harder to break down, so if you don't want to spend a bit more time popping the berries while cooking them, freeze the berries first!


 
 2 teaspoons Psyllium Husk

Psyllium husk is a great source of fibre and this is the ingredient that gives the jam a jelly texture, if you want something more liquid-y, you can take this ingredient out and just stick to having the chia seeds!


 
3 teaspoons Brown Sugar

You can opt for any other sweetener of your choice, they all work perfectly well. The jam that came out from this recipe isn't very sweet, so if you prefer something a lot sweeter, don't shy away from putting in more sugar! I quite like the flavour the brown sugar gives as compared to honey!


DIRECTIONS:

 
1. Pre-soak the chia seeds for a good 15 minutes. Set aside. If you do not soak the seeds, they will absorb more moisture and the jam will not be as runny. 
2. While those are soaking, put all the berries in a pot and cook over medium heat.
3. Slowly break the berries up then add in the chia seeds and keep stirring.
4. Add in the sugar and keep cooking for about 5 minutes.
5. Add in the psyllium husk and cook for another 5 minutes of until the mixture begins to bubble. 


 
6. Take it off the heat and let it cool before storing it in an airtight container!

This recipe should keep in your fridge for slightly over two weeks, it's best to keep it in the fridge as it tastes really great when its cold! 

I enjoy this with crackers, or even pita bread. I've also used this recipe with my peanut butter and jam cookies! 

 
 Yum yum!!

If you are on phhhoto, do come over, add me at phhhoto.com/chinpahilidoll and say hi! I'm having quite a lot of fun with it ^^ Ending off this blogpost, I hope you guys enjoyed it and give this a go! Till my next blogpost!! 


xx
Shayne




Comments