Back To School Recipes: Tomato Pie | Sponsored

Hello Everyone! 

This is weird because my blogpost completely disappeared after I clicked the publish button, so technically this is a repost..

So with that little complaint aside I've been lucky to be able to work with The Things We Cook! They've sent me a few recipes from their beautiful cookbook and I've decided to pick 5 of their recipes and put a slight personal twist to them! 

So their cookbook has loads of recipes that can be used for family gatherings, friends or even just yourself, which is what I'm pretty much doing. They have vegan recipes, gluten free and even sugar free recipes which are great for people like me who want to start venturing into a healthier lifestyle. 

Today's post is featuring their Tomato Pie recipe and my twist is making them into mini pies! Since I'm getting into the habit of bringing food from home to school, I thought smaller/more portable foods would be better! I found this recipe to be pretty versatile by itself because you can do so many things with the filling, make it vegan or even bring on the protein and throw in some chopped bacon! 

For me, school technically starts in August but I thought I'd start doing these posts early so those of you who are already in school can have some inspiration as well! 




TTWC have been so wonderful and even let me use the actual images from their cookbook! The illustrations are beautiful and they have little stories behind each recipe so it'd not just your regular cookbook!




So I started of by prepping my tomatoes (canned) and my dough. 

Now just a small tip, I didn't want to blend my dough ingredients as recommended so I decided to mix it all by hand, I think you can use a mixer as well, but I realised getting my hands right in there and just kneading it by hand was the best way.



While my tomatoes drained off, I dived my dough into two and then separated each of the halves into 6!


I then sliced up the tomatoes and mixed in some cream sauce (I don't eat mayonaise so that was my alternative) and then added a generous amount of parmesan cheese and some salt and pepper to season. For some reason I managed to forget to add in my basil so that wasn't my brightest moment. 



Before popping them into the oven, I rolled my other half of the dough over my little pies and used a fork to press down the sides so that I can keep all that yummy filling within the pastry! I also poked an 'X' to let excess air/heat out while they cook!






Yummy!!

Now, my crust turned out a lot thicker than I would have liked so I think I could actually end up making about 7 or 8 mini pies with the amount of dough I had, plus I had a little filling left over. Learn from my mistakes guys. 

I didn't cook these too much because I would be popping these into the fridge/freezer to make sure they don't go bad, and they can afford to brown a little more when I pop them into the oven to reheat. I haven't found out how long these would last but I would say they'll be fine in the fridge or freezer! 

I hope you guys love this recipe and I can't wait to share the rest of the recipes that I've picked out from this fabulous cookbook! Do let me know if you try these out and tag me on my social media (@chinaphilidoll) if you upload any photos! Of course, don't forget to tag TTWC (@thethingswecook) as well so they can feel your love for their recipes! Till the next blogpost!


xx
Shayne

Comments