Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus

Hey everyone! 

I'm a big fan of hummus and I've been constantly buying mine from the store and I thought it was high time I did my own recipe at home! I've researched on a few difference recipes online and I realised the basic recipes are really easy. I thought I'd take it a step further and make sun-dried tomato flavoured hummus because I love the flavour of sun-dried tomatoes. 

I've adapted this recipe from food.com and did a few minor adjustments myself and I'm really happy with the results! Best thing about this recipe is that it's vegan! For the record, I'm not vegan, I can't ever live without eggs, but I try to have a fruit/veggie based diet when I feel the need to be healthy. 

Alright, on to the recipe! 
  


INGREDIENTS: 
1 can (430g) Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans - drained
1 jar (160g) Sun-Dried Tomatoes - drained
2-3 Garlic cloves - chopped
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1/3 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 tablespoon Olive Oil
2/3 cup Water





DIRECTIONS: 
1. Drain both your beans and tomatoes and throw them into the food processor.
2. Add in the oil and water
3. Add in the rest of the ingredients. 
4. Blend in the food processor until smooth! 



 Tada! 

I know this probably doesn't look like the most appetising thing in the world but I promise you, it is amazing. I tend to prefer my hummus a little less runny so I put in less oil (2 tablespoons instead of the 3 mentioned in the food.com recipe). I'm pretty sure you can try putting in the oil that the sun-dried tomatoes have been sitting in but I didn't want to so I chucked that away and went ahead with the olive oil. 

The tomato flavour does add some sourness, so if you aren't into sour foods, do leave that part of the recipe out, or reduce the amount of sun-dried tomatoes. Similarly to the cayenne pepper, leave that bit out if you aren't too fond of spice! I absolutely love spicy food so this gave the hummus a very gentle heat to it, which I thought was nice. 

The only thing I'd change about the recipe is that I'd probably leave out the additional salt, I felt it was a tad bit too salty for my liking, and sun-dried tomatoes are salty themselves so I think I'd leave the 1/2 teaspoon out in my next batch. 

I love having hummus with crackers or vegetable sticks (particularly carrots) and I think this would go nicely on a wrap as well! Let me know if you try this recipe out and what other ways of having hummus/variations of hummus you guys like! Till my next post! Happy midweek!


xx
Shayne 

Comments