Eyelash Extension Q&A

Hey everyone!

I've been getting eyelash extensions for a while now, if you've been following me on social media, you'd know that I've been getting them done every few weeks at Beauty Wish. I was warned they'd become an addiction. Truth is, it is an absolute addiction.


I just got them touched up yesterday and it is one of the best confidence boosters ever.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that caking your face with makeup or doing things like these will make you more confident/better looking. It definitely isn't for everyone. But personally, it does make me feel more confident and I like how they look on me.

Back to the post, a lot of my friends have been asking me about the extensions and I thought I'd just answer a few here since I realised a lot of people are contemplating on getting eyelash extensions as well but they have so many unanswered questions.


Q: How will I know if I'll like what I look like?

A: Try falsies and see if you like what you look like.

I used to use falsies from Lace Lashes and they were probably my fave falsies ever because they are delicate and light. I'd say the only upside to using falsies would be because you get to change up your look every day. However, I don't like the process of putting them on and my lashes aren't very long so I decided to opt for eyelash extensions and I never looked back.

Also, for those of you out there who haven't tried falsies before, I strongly suggest trying different ones out because different styles of lashes will make you look very different. Sometimes you may suit the styles that are more sparse or perhaps the ones that fan out a little more at the corners. So, try them out first.


Q: How long do they last?

A: Before I got my lashes done yesterday, I had them done slightly over 4 weeks ago. I didn't get them redone like I did yesterday, but I got them refilled. The difference would be topping up the current set of extensions vs removing the current set and getting a brand new set put on. Not everyones extensions will last as long/short as mine, it really all depends on the individual, but I'd say the average lifespan is about 3-ish weeks?

I usually opt for the refill if I have an event/shoot to attend 2-3 weeks from when I last got the lashes done so that they look full and brand new. Otherwise, I get them redone every 4 weeks or so depending on how they look.

Before

These were how my lashes looked like before I got them done today. As you can see, the ones on my right eye have sort of clumped because the extensions towards the inner corners have fallen out, however, the ones on my left eye are just sparse.

After

These are what they look like right after you get them done! I'm super happy with them and it feels so nice to finally have a full set of extensions again. I know it's a very 'vain' thing but it's something that I really like to get done.


Q: What style do you get your extensions done in?

A: I always get the Eye Candy set done, which is the middle volume (sorta), they have sets that are a little more sparse as well as a set that has intense volume. Hop on over to Beauty Wish's website to check out their various sets! So the last time I got them done, I had the natural style done, you can watch my vlog for when I got them done here. This time, I decided on the sexy style, which have the lashes fanning out at the outer corners.

A close up!

I realise these do look so pretty, but sometimes I prefer my lashes toned down, so every now and then I just rotate among the two styles, depending on how many events/shoots I have in those few weeks! It's important to know that your extensions WILL FALL. The difference is how long they last, and that will depend on how well you take care of them.


Q: How do you take care of your lashes?

A: There are a few simple things to note when it comes to caring for your eyelash extensions

1. You cannot rub your eyes
The last thing you want to do is rub your eyes, I get itchy eyes every now and then, but I have to restrain myself from rubbing them because it shortens the lifespan of your extensions. Particularly towards the end of their 'cycle', they do tend to fall if you rub your eyes. We did a little test which you can see here. Sometimes, sleeping on your side can affect the lifespan of your extensions because of the friction between your face and your pillow. Usually this doesn't bother me as much but I realised that the extensions on the side that I sleep on fall differently from the side that I do not sleep on.

Basically, I try to sleep on both sides so they do not end up looking too uneven, but evidently from my 'before' photo above, it's not exactly the easiest thing to do.

2. No oil based removers
I'm not entirely sure why, but Jocelyn (the lovely lady who does my extensions) had mentioned to not use oil based removers because it sort of messes with the glue a little. Thankfully I've always been using a water based one so I'm good to go. Unfortunately, I'm unable to say if balm removers would affect the lashes. Water based removers are definitely recommended.

3. No contact with water 4 hours after you get them done
I can't remember why again, but it would probably have to do with the strength of the glue as well. I read somewhere that you can't wash your face for an entire day or so, but that's not true. I usually do not get them wet within the 4 hours after I get them freshly done and they've been lasting pretty well.


Q: What happens to my makeup routine?

A:  For me, I feel like I can afford to go out without eyeliner when my lashes are freshly done if I want my make up to look a lot lighter. I just get the base, some contour and my eyebrows done and I'm good to head out.

Just like this! 
 She did have to remove the eyeliner I had on prior to our appointment, but obviously, I'm pretty much alright without it for now. As for eyeliners and eyeshadow, you can still apply them as per normal. You don't ever have to skimp on those. As for mascara, I usually only apply them to my bottom lashes and I never apply them to my extensions. In the event that my lashes are sparse beyond help and I haven't the time for an appointment, I pop on a set of falsies, they don't ruin your eyelash extensions! 


Q: Do they hurt?

A: This is definitely the question I get the most. No they don't hurt at all, they are lightweight and comfortable (hence my preference over the falsies). However, it does take some getting used to because you may not be able to rub your eyes as usual or just rub your make up off your face with cleansing wipes (you shouldn't actually be rubbing your face to begin with though). 

Personally, my eyes are a little sensitive to light so when I get my extensions done when I haven't had a good night sleep before, my eyes tend to tear a little because of the light. However, it doesn't hurt at all and Jocelyn has always been really great. 

But I must say that if an extension happens to fall into your eye, that does kinda hurt. 


Q: Are they expensive?

A: I'd say this depends on the individual, if you like these sort of things, you'd find it worth the money. I personally find it totally worth my $60 every few weeks. I make sure I take care of the lashes so I don't waste their lifespan. As I said, they do fall naturally with your actual eyelashes, so some effort has to be put in to make sure you don't speed that up. 

As far as I know, Beauty Wish doesn't cost as much as other places and the quality is absolutely awesome. She's been trained overseas and you can have my word that she knows what she's doing for sure and that she will take good care of you! 

With that, we've come to the end of my eyelash extension Q&A, I know there may be a few more questions here and there but I just thought I'd touch on the ones that I've been asked the most so I hope you guys found this helpful! Till my next blogpost!


xx
Shayne

Comments