Favourite Period Snacks

Hello everyone~~

Sorry for the awkward title, but it is what it is. When the red fairy comes, she will come, and she brings the worst with her. I'm talking cramps, PMS, pimples, bloatedness, cravings, discomfort, you name it. Many of us girls will understand how horrible periods can be and some of us have the worst: Cramps. As for myself, I've been having cramps since I could remember and I constantly find myself running to heat packs for comfort. I should say that I'm not a fan of the pill, so hence the heat packs.

On the other hand, periods do come with pesky cravings and I happen to have the biggest sweet tooth. I'm sure many of you girls out there too have these cravings and it can be terrible when you want to watch what you eat. With that being said, I thought I'd share 4 simple recipes that I've found to curb my cravings, keep me full and are also beneficial for you during your period and in general.



Chocolate Oatmeal

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup Oatmeal
1 teaspoon Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 tablespoons Milk (Optional)
1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
Cashews
Almonds

DIRECTIONS:
1. Combine the oats (mine's instant oatmeal from Quaker) and unsweetened cocoa powder before adding the hot water.
2. Add the milk and keep stirring it in until it's all combined. You can add as much or as little milk as you'd like, but I found that 2 tablespoons gave me a nice creamy consistency.
3. Drizzle the maple syrup, this is up to your desired sweetness, and sprinkle on the nuts as well. I used baked and unsalted nuts.

Honey also works nicely instead of the maple syrup. Additionally, you can add whatever kind of nuts you like, or even add granola!



Peanut Butter Banana Slices

INGREDIENTS:
1 Banana
2 tablespoons Smooth Peanut Butter

DIRECTIONS:
1. Slice up your banana into the desired thickness. I slice mine at about 2cm thick.
2. Spread on the peanut butter on one slice and top it off with another.

Alternatively, you can also add chocolate chips to curb that chocolate cravings or have the peanut butter on one slice instead of making it a banana sandwich!



Vegan Quinoa

INGREDIENTS:
(This recipe yields about 5-6 small servings)
1 cup Red Quinoa
200g Tofu
200g Mushrooms
1 cup Cherry Tomatoes
10 Olives

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cook your quinoa, I used a rice cooker and filled the pot with twice the amount of water (2 cups) and let that cook until the quinoa was nice and fluffy. You can use the usual quinoa but I wanted to give the red quinoa a try.
2. Prepare the tofu and mushrooms. Dice them up to your desired size, mine were really tiny cubes, wrap them in tin foil and pop them into the toaster for a good 10-15 minutes.
3. Slice the cherry tomatoes and the olives to your desired size, I quartered mine) and keep that aside.
4. Once your quinoa, tofu and mushrooms are ready, toss all the ingredients together with some pepper and a dash of tabasco.

I didn't use salt in this recipe because the olives were really salty by themselves. Also, you can omit the tabasco and go for a lemon juice dressing or whatever dressing you would like!

If you want to keep this, it's best to store the ingredients separately so that they will last longer in the fridge. These keep up to about a week, just toss the ingredients together before warming them up in the microwave!




 Trail Mix

INGREDIENTS:
1/3 cup Cashews
1/3 cup Almonds
1/4 cup Dried Cranberries

DIRECTIONS:
I think this is fairly straightforward.. Just toss 'em all together! You can use other nuts and dried fruits of course, but these are my absolute favourites! I love these for snacks on normal days as well!



That's all for my comfort foods! Hopefully these help to keep you guys full and get rid of those nasty little cravings that comes with the monthly red fairy. Do give these a try and do let me know if you like them. Tag me on instagram or twitter or even facebook if you take photos of them! It'll make me very very happy ^^

I'm also really excited because Christmas is literally a few days away and I'll be going on mini adventures with Wang next week and that's really exciting! Of course I'll do a blogpost or two about them so do look forward to those! In the mean time, happy holidays everyone!



xx
Shayne

Comments