The Ramen Waffle

Hello everyone!

So the first week of school has officially ended and I'm already feeling the heat of the Semester! I'm doing quite a bit of work today but I thought I should do a little something fun since it's Sunday and there's school tomorrow too. If you saw my instagram post this morning, you would have seen that I made waffles this morning for breakfast. I was lazy to think of what to have so I decided to have my favourite instant noodles.

Then I realised I should try something out.

That's right, I put the ramen noodles into the waffle maker and made the ramen waffle. I don't know if anyone else has done this before and I know the ramen burger is something that people are (still sorta) talking about right now. That was pretty much an inspiration to make this into a blogpost, but the whole dumping the noodles into the waffle iron was completely random because I don't know how this would turn out.



Success? I think so. 

So this obviously doesn't taste any different from the noodles if you cook them the normal way but it's basically just a little more fun.

Let me just take you through what I did..



I used my favourite ramen

So this is a super spicy noodle. It's mean to be eaten dry so there isn't that seasoning pack but instead, there's the sauce pack. I love this noodles and they're my absolute favourite. I don't eat other ramen noodles anymore except these. Many thanks to Ely for introducing this to me. It's pure addiction.

I think these are about $8 in the supermarket but they tend to be a little hard to find. Either that or I'm terrible at hunting down ramen noodles. These should be easily available at the Korean supermarkets though.




Prepare the noodles!

Basically, you cook them the normal way you would. I tend to undercook my noodles because I don't like them breaking off, but for this recipe I boiled it a little longer. I usually cook mine for 3-5 minutes but for this I cooked for about 7 minutes. You would want to overcook them a little because they're going to dry up once you pop the noodles into the waffle iron.





Into the waffle iron!

After the noodles are done boiling, I drained the water off and plopped them into the  heated waffle iron straight away. If you're using ramen that's mean to be eaten with the soup, in that sense you'd have the pack of seasoning, toss the noodles in the seasoning before putting them into the waffle iron. That way your noodles will already by nice and flavoured.

Remember to spread the noodles as far out as possible because unlike batter, the noodles will not spread out and take the shape of the grooves in the waffle maker. While the ramen waffle is cooking up, you can prepare your garnishes. I just chopped up a little bit of sausages.

I let mine sit in the waffle iron for about 10-25 minutes and it gets a nice crispy outside and the inside is chewy. You can leave it in for longer if you want a more golden-brown finish but I'm not sure how hard the noodles along the edges will be.




Garnish!

After taking my ramen waffle out of the waffle iron, I drizzled on the sauce from the ramen pack and sprinkled on the chopped sausages, added a little bit of Korean kimchi and then finished off with the seaweed and sesame garnish that came with the ramen!

That's it for this post, I hope you like it and if you're adventurous or bored enough, do give it a go! I hope you guys are having a good January, and for those who just started school like I did, here's me wishing you all the best for the year and the semester. I'll see you in my next post!


xx
Shayne

Comments